Frequently Asked Questions - Option 1, one on one intensive on-line training

Click on any question to read the answer.

Q. How does one on one training work?

A. All of your practical skills training are completed live through a face to face streaming application (the remainder of your practical skills homework is completed on line with conflictsolvers. You are sent additional homework tasks that you will need to complete and return).

Q.Do I need technical knowledge to work out  how to use this live streaming?

A. No. It’s handled from our end and to ensure it all works our IT person will be in contact and check you have the requirements before you sign up once you’ve expressed interest in the course.

Q. How quickly can I complete this course?

A. There are two components you need to finalise. One is the practical written work (provided by our learning section). The second is the mediation practices which you need to fulfil your accreditation requirements.

It would be unlikely that you would complete all that was necessary before at least a two week period. However we can discuss your requirements on an individual basis.

Q. So when do you run the video (face to face practices)?

A. Again, we negotiate suitable times with you. It can be day time or in the evenings (preferably no later start than 7pm) and weekends are also fine.

Q. Who runs this course?

A. Both the written and practical skill components are completed through conflictsolvers. Currently the on-line face to face practice and feedback sessions are conducted by Fred Stern who has over 25 years experience as a mediator in all areas of mediation work.

Q. Who do I apply to?

A. In the first instance please email expressing your interest so we can negotiate suitable arrangements and discuss your particular requirements.

Q. Do you require previous study or special skills to do this accredited mediation course?

A. There are no pre-requisites to do any of our courses. However there is an assumption that you have good listening skills; an important part of being a mediator.

Q.What is an accredited mediator?

A. To become an accredited mediator you must meet the standards as set down by the National Practice Standards (links to these standards can be found at

Your final assessment (a minimum of a 1.5 hour role-play) is assessed independently from the trainers in your course. You are graded as either competent or not yet competent.

Should you be graded as not yet competent in this assessment, conflictsolvers has a process in place to lodge a formal review and have your work re-considered within this framework.

Q. Once I complete the course and pass will I automatically receive my accreditation?

A. Passing the course is only the first stage of becoming an accredited mediator. Before being issued your certificate you will need to demonstrate other factors through an application such as;
  1. Being of good character. This may involve you obtaining a police check at your cost upon our request (not required upon initial application).
  2. Showing you have personal indemnity insurance. Workplaces often carry this indemnity but if you are operating as an individual, you will need to show evidence that you have purchased this indemnity. (Some organisations carry personal indemnity insurance such as those who are part of AASW)
  3. An undertaking to comply with on going practice standards and compliance with any legislative and approval requirements
  4. Membership with an appropriate association or organisation; and
  5. Mediator competence (keeping a log book in the future to demonstrate practice/training you have undertaken).

Q. What is the difference between an accredited mediator and a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner (who primarily deals with parenting plans, property division and issues Certificate 60I’s)?

A. An accredited mediator handles disputes which are generally non-law based whilst the opposite is true of a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. An FDR mediator is required to apply to the Attorney General’s Department and be registered by them to provide Certificate 60I’s. An accredited mediator meets different National Standards and is registered with an RMAB (Recognised Mediator Accreditation Body). Someone who is already an FDR Practitioner would have to apply and become an accredited mediator, it is not automatic.

The great news is that the Mediation Institute provides this course and at any stage you can attend one of our two day workshops in order to also obtain your national accreditation

Q. By being an accredited mediator can I also do Family Dispute Resolution work (family law)?

A. The simple answer is NO. To become a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner that issues Certificate 60I’s, you need a different qualification (for new practitioners, we highly recommend obtaining the necessary diploma through They offer an excellent online study program ). Once you meet this training requirement, FDR Practitioners apply to be recognized by the Attorney General’s Department and are issued with an individual practicing number.

At any stage you can attend still attend one of our two day workshops in order to also obtain your national accreditation once you feel you are ready to do so.

Q. Once I am an accredited mediator, is there anything else I need to do in order to keep up my accreditation?

A. For the purpose of on-going accreditation you will need Continuing Professional Development within a two year cycle as defined by the Australian National Approval Standards and evidenced by an RMAB (you will need to keep a log book in order to demonstrate your on-going training/experience).

a) sufficient practice experience by showing that they have either:

i) conducted at least 25 hours of mediation, co-mediation or conciliation (in total duration) within the two-year cycle; or,

ii) where a mediator is unable to provide such evidence for reasons such as, a lack of work opportunities (in respect of newly qualified mediators); a focus on work undertaken as a dispute manager, facilitator, conflict coach or related area; a family, career or study break; illness or injury, an RMAB may require the mediator to have completed no less than 10 hours of mediation, co-mediation or conciliation work per two-year cycle and may require that the mediator attend ‘top up’ training or reassessment;


b) have completed at least 20 hours of continuing professional development in every two-year cycle that can be made up as follows:

i) attendance at continuing professional development courses, educational programs, seminars or workshops on mediation or related skill areas as referred to in the competencies (see the Practice Standards) (up to 20 hours);

ii) external supervision or auditing of their clinical practice (up to 15 hours);

iii) presentations at mediation or ADR seminars or workshops including two hours of preparation time for each hour delivered (up to 16 hours);

iv) representing clients in four mediations (up to a maximum of 8 hours);

v) coaching, instructing or mentoring of trainee and/or less experienced mediators (up to 10 hours);

vi) role playing for trainee mediators and candidates for mediation assessment or observing mediations (up to 8 hours);

vii) mentoring of less experienced mediators and enabling observational opportunities (up to 10 hours).

2) Ongoing accreditation as a mediator requires the mediator to meet the practice standards and competencies described in the Practice Standards. An RMAB has discretion to remove or suspend a mediator in circumstances where it believes, on the balance of probabilities, that there has been non compliance with the Practice Standards, other relevant ethical guidelines or professional requirements, or these Approval Standards.

Q. What record(s) do you keep of me being an accredited mediator?

A. RMAB’s are required to keep a register of accredited mediators. Documentation is kept which includes application forms and evidence as required by the Approval standards. Once accredited a mediator must also show an RMAB that they have complied with the on-going requirements within a two year cycle as defined by the Australian National Approval Standards. Conflictsolvers has a link on their website where accredited mediators may refer people to see their name and the date they were accredited.

Q. What if I want to make a complaint?

A. We acknowledge that it's important if you feel something has gone wrong, to lodge a complaint. Of course if we can remedy the situation by talking the issue through, then we're happy to take your comments on board.

Initially if you feel you can't talk to the person involved, then we will ensure your complaint goes to someone who you haven't dealt with before. Please note that once this happens your complaint must be in writing showing the following detail;
  1. Date
  2. Name of the person the complaint is against
  3. Name, address and telephone number of the person making the complaint
  4. An explanation of the complaint and how it has impacted upon you or violated R.M.A.B./government requirements
  5. The facts upon which the allegation or allegations are based
  6. The date of each alleged violation or, in the case of an alleged continuing violation, the date that the first violation took place and the history of the continuing violation up to the date of the complaint
Send your signed written complaint to:
Complaints Officer
1/1A Davey St Sunshine West 3020 Vic

Or Email your complaint through to:

We have the services independent accredited mediators who are able to investigate.

Q. Once I am nationally accredited is there a requirement to pay any on-going fee?

A. The Mediator Standards Board has now introduced a bi-annual fee for nationally accredited mediators in order to retain their accreditation. Each two years you will be sent an automatic reminder both by us and the mediator standards board to renew your accreditation. This consists of filling in a form outlining your current situation and paying the bi-annual fee of $150.00

Q. I am based overseas, am I able to complete your training?

A. We have had numerous participants from overseas countries successfully attend our training. There is no pre-requesite. Please remember however that our course is only taught in English and if you become accredited it is an Australian qualification (we are unsure of how that qualification is accepted within your own country of origin).

We would also have to look closely at the time differences in order to successfully deliver the face to face components of the course.

[Top of Page]